Saturday, August 4, 2012

Green Butternut Squash Fritters



Green Butternut Squash - Use the narrow upper portion

For the batter :
Chickpea Flour / Besan - 3 tbsp
Brown Rice Flour - 2 tbsp
Nigella Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Water
Salt
Cayenne Pepper - 1/4 tsp
Baking Soda - a pinch



I got so excited when I saw this huge butternut squash in my vegetable garden that I picked it without even thinking whether it has ripened. When I cut it open, I found it was light green inside and definitely not the yellow ripe squash. I didn't want to throw it away ...... after all it was the first butternut squash I harvested from my own garden. So I thought nothing tastes bad if they are deep fried and I could use up some of it by making fritters. They turned out to be so tasty and crispy and I used up the remaining by adding it to a yellow mung bean soup.


Peel the butternut squash and cut into thin roundels. Make a thick batter by mixing chickpea flour, brown rice flour, nigella seeds, salt, cayenne pepper, baking soda and water.

Heat a cast iron skillet and add peanut oil to cover half inch depth of the skillet.

Once the oil is hot, dip each roundel into the batter and place gently on the hot oil. Add more roundels dipped in batter but do not over crowd the skillet. Cook for a few minutes till the bottom side is golden brown. Flip and cook till the other side is browned. Remove on a paper towel.

Serve immediately while it is still hot and crispy.

 
Let's Cook
 
 

No comments: